VR Relocate (Odes X4)

Terry
Site Admin

VR Relocate (Odes X4)

Post by Terry »

As many of you already know the oem main harness has issues with melting wires and burnt connectors, In the earlier years it was do to the stator wires being reduced from 12ga to 14ga when connected to the main harness.

What I have done on a machine with a stereo system that draws 40amp the charging system is under constant load and my goal was to reduce as much wiring and connection points between the VR and Stator and reduce the heat generated by the connection points as well as length of 14ga wire.

The relocate was pretty simple as I needed the VR close enough to the Stator connector to plug in w/o any additional harness and to try and mount it in a location that does not get an excessive amount of heat.

On the X4 I decided on the well under the front passenger seat as the stereo was already mounted there. The items necessary for relocation is not much as it was some reflective tape, flanged bolts & nuts, some 8ga wire, connectors for power to VR, lug for cables and some heat shrink and wire sleeve that has a high heat resistance.

It is very important you create a good ground point on the chassis for the Neg (-) lead from the VR.

Here you can see the reflective tape and the holes for mounting the VR.

VR Mounted in location. I used some 1/4" wide washers between the body panel and VR to create a barrier between the VR and the body so you still get some air between the two.

Stator/Power connectors plugged in. Grounded to frame (Battery has 4ga to frame & 8ga to frame here)

The stator connector will plug directly into the VR so no need for a connector for that unless your's is burnt.

You can purchase the connectors from Corsa-Technic

Make sure you get a seal plug for the center as it will not be used and measure your wire dia to get the correct seal for those wells, I would recommend 8ga silicone covered wire.

Routing of Battery (+) cable from VR through engine compartment and up to battery. Notice heavy heat resistant fiberglass sleeve that is also highly abrasion resistant.
Negative terminal and cable is missing in this image.

I know I am going to get the comment well I like mudding or driving in water so I don't want the VR that low, Well let me show you where the main harness plugs into the rear harness as well as engine harness. If you can have (2) 16 pin connectors and (1) 3 pin connector that low which is right above the skid plate on the frame rail you will have no issues with something mounted higher.