Odes 1000 JungleCross Shift Cable Adjustment

Terry
Site Admin

Odes 1000 JungleCross Shift Cable Adjustment

Post by Terry »

I am going to cover adjusting the shifter cable on the Odes UTV (Specifically Dominator X2/X4).

Before starting this procedure make sure the parking brake is set and/or chocks are used to prevent the machine from rolling off on you and either damaging the machine or hurting someone.

After receipt of my new 2016.5 X2 1000 I noticed that the shifter would exert alot of back force against the shifter while in L, I popped the cover and took a look and sure as shootin whoever adjusted this put the adjusters all the way to one side so I had no adjustment left. I had to remove the arm off the trans and move it (1) spline in a clockwise rotation. After this adjustment the shifter will now go into P and L without alot of back force applied.

First thing is to adjust the cable in the N position, So set the shifter in N and remove the cotter pins and washers from both the shifter arm and the arm located at the trans and pop the eyelets off each post, That will free the cable so it can move back and forth without affecting the settings.

With the cable now free make sure that the shifter handle is floating in the N position and is located correctly just move back and forth and you will feel both internal stops for the shifter handle. Ok now adjust the shifter adjustment nuts located just forward of the shifter assembly until the eyelet will just slide over the post without changing the position of the shift handle. When you get it where the eyelet slides over snug up the jam nuts on the shifter adjustment and recheck the adjustment and if you can get the eyelet to just slide over the post then tighten up the jam nuts (Don't overtorque them as it is a hollow tube).

Ok now on to the trans, With the shifter arm in the N position check the alignment of the eyelet to the post and the adjuster nuts should be mid point and not all the way to one side or another, This will allow adjustment in the future without needing to relocate the shift arm on the trans. If the eyelet aligns but the adjuster nuts are to one side or another then remove the shift arm and move (1) spline and retighten nut (You must remove the bolt from the shift arm as the shaft coming out of the trans has a radial groove in it and with the bolt in it prevents the shaft arm from coming off). When you find a location that works correctly place a dab of loctite on the bolt and snug it down but don't overtorque or it will distort the arm clamp. Now with the arm in the proper orientation use the cable adjuster nuts located just forward of the trans shift arm assembly and adjust them until the eyelet slides over the post with little to no interference. Now snug up the adjuster jam nuts and recheck, if it is correct then tighten the jam nuts and consider it complete. 

Here are some pics of where the adjusters are and cotter pins as well as clocking of shift arms.

Shifter linkage at shifter

Shifter cable adjustment nuts for shifter arm shown above.

Shifter cable adjusters for shift arm located on trans shift shaft.

Shift arm located on trans shift shaft.